Saturday, December 6, 2008

There is such a thing as being too thin

I stopped by a Barnes & Noble earlier this week and picked up a few women's magazines to look at pretty layouts and clothes (who reads these days anyway?). I noticed something similar in all of them: they were noticeably lighter. I had a stack of four and I didn't feel burdened at all. Cosmo, Lucky, Self, Glamour. They were all thinner. And now my Marie Claire subscription just arrived. It's much thinner too. It's freaking flimsy.

Magazines rely on advertisers to get more funds for content pages, and when advertisers are in trouble, magazines are in trouble.

This is terrifying.

As much as I know the future of publishing is in the internet, this is still really depressing. I grew up reading magazines, flipping through glossy pages of great layouts and ads and of course actually reading well-written articles and witty editorials. I'm not trying to be cliche, but honestly, magazines are the reason I decided to pursue Journalism. And if they die, it's like a part of me dies.

Oy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For a moment I thought this was going to be about obese people.